Friday, September 16, 2011

Kara Update

It has been a while (I think... I'm not THE best at keeping track) since a Kara update. Oh, sweet Kara. She brings joy wherever she goes. We were at Children's yesterday and she got at least 4 comments about what a sweet baby she is (big smiles help). This from people who see babies ALL day long. She is a very content baby (if you don't count the week where I wasn't putting her down for naps quick enough as well as she was in pain because we had prematurely lowered her reflux meds, but I digress...).

She is occasionally taking (like just now) a 5.5 or 6 ounce bottle by mouth. Woo hoo! I thought that eating didn't fatigue her too much - or that I couldn't see signs of fatigue. I have since realized that it does. She no longer does the "suck-suck-pant-pant-pant-pant" that she used to do. But she does have a higher breathing rate, and her chest looks tighter (technical term is restricted, I believe). And she takes breathing breaks. It took me about 2 weeks to realize this, as well. She would stop eating and push the bottle out, so I would do the normal Mom thing and burp her. About 2 seconds later, she would fuss, arch back and grab at the bottle. I was pretty perplexed until I finally realized she was just needing a few big breaths and then was ready for more milk. Sweet Kara, she IS much more "normal" but not so much that I can put it on autopilot. I still need to evaluate, pay attention and calculate calories.

she's also very much a normal 6 month old. Sitting up, grabbing at everything (currently going for keyboard and mouse) and very distracted by brother & sister. She eats MUCH better if I discipline myself to go to another room for her 30 min. bottle. Another situation of deciding what's "best" for which child at which moment and trying to not ALWAYS put the same child's needs ahead of the others.

Please continue to pray for Jeremy & I. We are weary - God's Plan A is hard for us to accept with joy, at this moment. Thank you.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

We are always holding you in prayer! We love you!