Friday, March 18, 2011

Wednesay and Thursdays

I've been lax in updating and there is good news to report!

Wednesday morning Meg and I went to the hospital for the morning. Kara was doing very well and the doctors decided to extubate her. While a very easy thing to do it did leave Kara a little uncomfortable for the morning. It was good to hear her cry again, albeit raspy from the tube. The kept Kara's IV and morphine levels the same for the day





Thursday Meg and the kids went in to see Kara along with Mimi. The doctors were very pleased with how Kara was progressing and indicated she could be moved from the NICU to the 'floor.' Which is the term they use for general surgery recovery. At first to me it was like moving Kara from isolation to the general population. But I had to remind myself this isn't a prison and the only reason I'm anxious is because it is unknown (nurses, room, etc). Something to confess before the Lord.

She was moved another section of the hospital with a larger room. She is in a single room for now. There is a possibility she will be moved into a shared room. The room is a huge improvement over the NICU. We can eat in it. There's a restroom and shower. There's a bed so we can sleep there if we wish. I (Jeremy) will probably take advantage of that.


Taken Thursday night

Here next steps:
- Continue to ween off morphine (she's down to 10 micrograms)
- managing her discomfort with oral medication like Tylenol
- Start working on her feeding skills (almost as important as nun chuck skills ;)
- They will start giving her oral doses of milk soon

Praises:
- God is greatly to be praised because He is worthy
- for God's grace to us in Kara's recovery, she is progressing so well
- Meg and I can hold her now whenever we want. We just have to mind the cords ;)
- for the great care Kara has received.
- for the community of believers who have supported us through this

Prayer requests:
- Continued wisdom for the doctors and nurses in treating Kara
- for us to be content if God has us stay at Children's or go back to Evergreen
- Connor and Katie would be content as we balance time at home and hospital
- for Kara's continued recovery and adjustment to life after surgery

1 comment:

Liz said...

so many things to be thankful for! I love seeing the pictures of Kara, especially with her eyes open, she is such a beautiful baby and looks just like her mommy did when she was a baby!