Oh my! This is Kara and her feeding therapist. Kara has been refusing baby food for over a month now and she would throw up anything besides puffs (split in half) and MUM MUMs. She is, shall we say, high maintenance! So her feeding therapist gave us some new strategies. Now, we are able to get her to eat some baby food, but she feeds herself. We have been encouraged to use anything and everything, dipped in food. Both ends of the spoon, a straw, toothbrush, whatever... to get her to put food in her mouth. She does eat it, but takes a lot of coaching. I have never seen a baby who knew her mind quite like Kara. In many ways it has been a huge blessing. She knows her limitations, and that has kept her (and her airways) safe. I have to tell myself that over and over when she's not eating and I'm tempted to be frustrated and/or angry.
Fun fact - it takes 4 oz. of squash to equal the calories in 2 oz. of breastmilk. Kara is probably eating, um, 8 spoonfuls of squash (and I mean baby spoons) at a "good" feed. We have a ways to go...
Kara has a 6th sense about cameras. She always turns and SMILES. Which is wonderful... except when we want an action shot.
1 comment:
My kids asked today if we might ever move to WA to be close to Connor, Katie, and Kara :o)
I LOVE that smile! She is such a sweet cutie pie. Praying she is able and willing to eat more and more!
Post a Comment